I am running my Tapestry Crochet course over 3 evenings in November at the Riverhouse Barn Arts Centre in Walton-on-Thames. You’ll be making a mini sized “Columbian bag” over the course of the weeks. Learn all the basic techniques used to create a Wayuu or “mochila” style bags so that you are confident enough to design your own bag or make one from a pattern. You will love this beautiful and very useful, crochet art-form.
- Brief overview of bag construction & materials used.
- How the bottom of the bag is made and basic principles of base design.
- Getting started with your own bag.
- Adding and changing colours – mastering the tapestry crochet stitch.
- Making the sides of the bag – reading charts, designing your own patterns.
- How to manage multiple skeins of yarn without tangling.
- Making eyelets for the cord fastening.
- Using crab stitch or reverse single crochet borders to reinforce and add stability and shape to the top and bottom of the bag.
- Mastering two coloured crab stitch or reverse single crochet.
- Making a simple cord.
- How to make quick and easy tassels.
- Tips for lining the bags.
- Design options – examples of & ideas for projects using tapestry stitch.
This is a 3 week course, running on Wednesday evenings:
Week 1 : Wednesday 11th November 7:30 – 9:30pm
Week 2 : Wednesday 18th November 7:30 – 9:30pm
Week 3 : Wednesday 25th November 7:30 – 9:30pm
Due to safety measures in place due to COVID, the class sizes are limited to 5 students.
The course is £46 for 3 weeks and includes a kit with everything you need.
All my classes come with detailed class notes and pattern. I provide samples and practical demonstrations of all techniques, helping and encouraging students with hands on assistance so that they can feel confident with their new found skills. Along with the class notes, the students should be able to continue & complete their mini project in the comfort of their own home, with relative ease. I am also happy to offer help by email, after the course, should any student have any questions.
Cancellation Due To COVID
In the event of the class being cancelled due to new physical distancing legislations or lockdown, the course will run online. A Zoom meeting will take place each Wednesday evening at 7:30pm to discuss the techniques and tasks that need to be completed before the next class. A private page will be available on my website with downloadable class notes and detailed YouTube videos covering all the techniques for making the bags.
Should the course run online, you will receive a 20% refund on your class fee.
If you do not wish to take the course online, you will receive a full refund.
Students must be competent with basic crochet techniques, particularly chaining & single crochet (UK double).
Materials & Tools
All materials and tools will be provided.
The project uses 3 x 50g balls of DK cotton, locking stitch markers and 2.5mm crochet hook.